Wednesday, September 2, 2015

My Testimony for Michelle Andrews


I got to know Michelle Andrews soon after she completed her police training program at the Old Montrose Police Training School; in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Michelle and I were not friends, however every now and then we will exchange a friendly greetings and or have a brief conversation about the insignificant things. We could not help but to run into each other on a daily or weekly basis. This was so for the simple reason I was assigned to the Traffic department Transportation department and Michelle was attached to Immigration. Both department main entrance and exit were immediately across from each other and a mere twenty feet or so away.

On First impression of PC Andrews was; she was a beautiful and a sexy woman. She taller than most women and she had good enough meet on her bones not a fat girl but a well-built woman. One that I could have made my wife if I met her a few years earlier. Miss Michelle Andrews, had the type of built that most West Indian or Caribbean men desired as sexy. In the same manner I have never make an advancement on any female I have worked with (Professional courtesy) I kept my opinion of her beauty and sexual appeal to myself and I dealt with her on purely a professional level.

Although I cannot recall the exact date, I can vividly remember hearing a rumor that Police Constable (PC) Michelle Andrews filed a report of sexual harassment against then Inspector 313 Cornelius Charles. I remember I saw Michelle leaving the office for lunch and I asked her about what happened, and she briefly relayed the basic information to me about the incident that triggered the report against, the then Inspector (313) Cornelius Charles and she told me of the reactions she was getting even from her fellow constable who should be supporting her. Because of this report Michelle was bombarded with castigation from all quarters of the police.

I told PC Andrews if the incident happened as she told me it did, (I had no reason not to believe her) then she is within her right to report it as she did. I also pledged my support to PC Michelle Andrews. Unfortunately for me, My support of Miss Andrews came back to haunt me a few years later when, the Unity Labor Party, took Government and Cornelius Charles was place in Charge of the traffic department. It went so far to the point to where I was taken to open court as a defendant on some framed up charges which I won.
There are only a few women I knew in the Royal St. Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force, who were strong enough to not get involved with anyone by virtue of sexual pressure from a superior; and they are:
  1. Loraine John
  2. Dorothy Walker
  3. Michelle Andrews.
This is not to say there are not other, honest hardworking females but in my opinion, most of the other women I knew personally, that were a part of the organization were willing to do anything that is within their power or what they have to, in order to gain an unfair advantage (Easy duties, time off when they were not due such, transfer to prestigious department, etc.).

When PC Michelle Andrews stood up to her police abusers and make their unethical, immoral and unlawful actions public, I gained a new respect for her as a person and as a police officer. As a result of Michelle’s report against the then inspector Cornelius Charles she suffered grate hardship.

I was not surprised when she was detached to work in the Grenadines she file another sexual misconduct report against her senior. Police officers who work in these hard area tend to use it as an excuse for sexual promiscuity. Having a woman in the station it would be grate temptation and just to look upon this healthy, well-built robust West Indian woman, many people can mistake camaraderie as an invitation for romance. In my opinion, Michelle Andrews is a respectable woman who is strong enough to fight against the odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment